To post a job on our job board, please log into your Member’s Account.
Status: Part time (Anticipated Dec 6th Start *Subject to snow depth and coverage)
Reporting: Ski Area Operations Manager
Location: Callaghan Country’s Alexander Falls Touring Centre, #1000 Callaghan Valley Rd. Whistler BC
Remuneration: Competitive wage & benefits pkg.
As Grooming Operator, you will be responsible for farming weekend snowfall, grooming and track setting our cross-country ski trails in preparation of the next day’s Nordic recreationalists and running passenger shuttles to and from Callaghan Lake and the Journeyman Lodge. Your work will facilitate the interplay of ‘place and customer’ ensuring high quality environments that are accessible, safe, and enjoyable while minimizing hazards and expenses.
- Grooming and maintaining a high-quality cross-country ski trail network.
- Responsible for the safety of fellow employees and guests
- Responsibility and sensibility to maintain safe snowcat operation
- Understand the requirements and intricacies of grooming for cross-country skiing so that you can maintain trails and surfaces to highest level possible
- Knowledge of 'skier preference' trail grooming and maintenance best practices
- Ability to learn how to operate all grooming and transportation equipment
- Observe carefully and adhere to all company safety, operating and maintenance procedures
- Minimize down time through basic preventative maintenance, cleanliness and up-keep of machines
- Manual labor may be required to maintain safe operations throughout the property
- Maintain good working relationship and communicate work instructions with co-workers
- Informs manager of operational issues with delivery/removal of items or mechanical issues with the snowcat
- Responsible for lifting, packing, and unloading supplies from the snowcat
- Ensures the Snowcat is fully always fueled with proper fluid levels, as well as leaving the radio fully charged at the end of the shift
- Transports and takes correct care of hazardous goods
- Works flexible shifts, depending on the needs of the business
- Other duties as assigned
· Must have own transportation
· Mechanical aptitude required
· Able to read instruments and identify warnings, obstacles and hazards
· Willing to work overtime, early morning, late evening, overnight, holiday, and weekend shifts, as required
· Have the ability to work by yourself and maintain alertness throughout your entire shift
· Understand Nordic grooming patterns and methods
· Ability to detect problems with equipment
· Understand and comply with safety guidelines
· A collection of professional references will be required prior to final interviews
· Personal time commitment to a full season contract with Callaghan Country
· Ability to pleasantly and respectfully interact with clients
· 1-3 years’ experience with heavy machinery; grooming experience is an asset, as is proficiency with blade and tiller operations
· Experience with other heavy equipment, such as a loader or plow, a plus
· Cross-country ski and/or grooming experience an asset
· Have a valid driver's license with appropriate class ratings
· Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays in all weather conditions, lift heavy objects, and be in a seated position for an entire shift
· Demonstrated passion for mountain sports & Nordic skiing
· Demonstrated initiative in community and volunteer endeavors
· TEAMWORK Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively, participate fully, communicate clearly, involve and encourage others, contributing to a cohesive team environment.
· KEEN & CAN-DO ATTITUDE Proactively learning and expanding your skillset to grow in your career path and support the operation
· RISK ASSESSMENT/JUDGMENT Aware of your surroundings at all times and confidently make decisions to minimize risk to you and to company equipment.
· MECHANICALLY INCLINED Able to intuitively see how machines work. Adept at troubleshooting mechanical issues and using the appropriate tools to fix them.
· HAND EYE COORDINATION Honed control of simultaneous use of hands and eyes along with strong vestibular reflexes and spatial orientation
· PHYSICALLY FIT Ready to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares, enduring repetitive physical movements and tasks.
· PATIENCE Appreciation that doing the job right, means taking a slow and methodical approach and never rushing
· RESULTS ORIENTATION Demonstrates the concern and strives for surpassing an established standard of excellence.