To post a job on our job board, please log into your Member’s Account.
Live-in Backcountry Lodge Chef / Host(ess)
As the Summer Live-in Chef / Lodge Host(ess), your primary responsibility is to ensure that food service at Journeyman Lodge is second to none. All kitchen functions are your prime responsibility. You will design, execute, and manage all kitchen and catering needs at Journeyman Lodge. You will determine our winter season midweek menu that can easily be adapted to accommodate a barrage of unique dietary allergies and requirements. You will be accountable to effectively manage the kitchen and facilities in compliance with all health and safety regulations by ensuring 24-7 adherence.
This position is highly customer service oriented, so you will also be responsible to ensure each, and every guest has an incredible stay at Journeyman Lodge. You are a chef, a baker, and a host(ess). It is your attention to detail and your commitment to first-class service and hospitality that will add the finishing touch to the entire Callaghan Country experience. You are passionate about the backcountry experience, and you enjoy sharing the experience with the guests. You make each guest feel welcome and strive to make them feel special, comfortable, relaxed, safe, taken care of, and generally, right at home. You recognize that each guest is an individual and has unique needs, values, and behavior styles. It is your mission to understand and learn about each guest so that you can find ways to add value to their individual experience. You recognize that some guests may seem ‘high maintenance,’ but you see these people as an opportunity for you to practice your patience and understanding so that you can contribute positively to their vacation.
You are a true people person, yet you thrive on the challenge of living in a remote location for long periods of time. You are adventurous, and you love the outdoors. You are an independent self-starter, a hard-worker, and a team player. You have a keen eye for detail, and you take the initiative to do what needs to be done to ensure that each guest has an incredible time in Callaghan Country. You are passionate about providing amazing hospitality to each and every guest.
Food & Beverage (70%)
• Menu development, administration, and execution consisting of:
~ Continental Breakfast a light option typically consisting of pastries, eggs, baked goods, fruits, toast, and coffee. Served buffet style.
~ Lunch (Bagged) for guests venturing out from Lodge, offering unique options for sandwich, wraps, baking, sweets, trail mix and fruit or
~ Bagged Lunch for guests staying in Lodge offering to-go bags of sandwich/wrap with fruit, trail mix, and protein bar options along with juice box and electrolyte packet. Also, an alternative seated option (Soup and sandwich selection from the day tripper menu)
~ Lunch (Fresh Lunch in the Alpine) for incoming day tripping guests offering soup and sandwich and a simple soup & bun option (Three standard hearty soups on rotating menu, with one additional vegan option always available). *Fresh Lunch in the Alpine program may be pre-prepared and available to be served by lodge host team depending on workshare considerations.~Afternoon Tea Service a late afternoon selection of teas and light snacks
~ Dinner for overnight guests (max. 24 persons) offering a single meal each night drawn from a list menu of 5 options which can be provisioned for in a remote location and re-supplied as needed (daily). Typically, these options would entail a BBQ style dinner and dessert.
~ Staff Meals offering food ingredients for breakfast and lunch along with a fully prepared dinner accessible to your colleagues for quick prep/heat if required
~ Gluten-Free adaptations across all of the above offerings
• Administration of all weekly grocery and supplies provisioning including maintenance of inventory levels of all ingredients, supplies and equipment and reporting as required to the General Manager?
• Supervise and facilitate the food ordering (YEN Bros), delivery process and ensuring timely scheduling, proper food storage and transportation of goods to the Lodge in a timely and efficient manner
• Work with the Business Manager to promote and monitor a high-quality food services program
• Preparation and maintenance of a daily food cost budget in accordance with framework provided by the General Manager (or designate) and applying effective cost controls as necessary
• Accountable for planning and preparation of all F&B services• Responsible for communicating weekly menu to Adventure Desk ahead of incoming guests
• Maintaining kitchen cleanliness (including washing and sanitization of utensils and dishware) is ultimately Chefs responsibility, however support may be available depending on mutually acceptable workshare considerations with your colleagues.
• Ensure the quality of fresh baked breads, cookies, muffins, squares, and other sweets on a daily basis
• Work proactively to anticipate dietary needs, and when appropriate, follow up directly with guests regarding any unique upcoming menu requirements, dietary restrictions, and food allergies
• Confirm accuracy of noted dietary restrictions on guest profiles prior to dinner service
• Maintain kitchen and equipment to standards compliant with licensing laws, health and safety and other statutory regulations (industry grade kitchen and dishwasher)
• Work with Vancouver Coastal Health to facilitate routine kitchen inspections that meet provincial health and safety standards
Safety & Risk Management (15%)· Conduct staff training in causes and prevention of food-borne illnesses, food protection, and management of healthy equipment and facilities for food preparation and serving.
•Actively support the practices and protocols to prevent and control the introduction, transmission, and spread of communicable illness/disease at our facility
•Participate fully during the training process and take total responsibility to build a strategy for effectively coping with apparent knowledge/skill gaps
• Ensure that you are well versed in Callaghan Country’s safety procedures and are proficient in the use of its safety equipment
• Ensure that you are well versed and prepared to engage in Callaghan Country’s emergency response procedures
Facility & Operations Maintenance (5%)· Maintain a clean and welcoming lodge interior, assisting with the duties outlined on the lodge housekeeping checklist on a daily basis
· Operate side by side for shift and supply transportation
· Coordinate with Operations Manager on waste & pest control
· Troubleshoot minor problems with all lodge systems and advise Operations Manager of any issues to ensure proper maintenance is performed in a timely manner?
Guest Service / Hospitality (5%)· Act as host character of Journeyman Lodge and general ambassador for Callaghan Country Wilderness Adventures with all guests, shareholders, media reps, and industry partners
· Warmly welcome guests and assist in the delivery of a thorough lodge orientation (show them the slippers, instructions about lodge systems, water usage, our recycling efforts, etc.)
• Maintain professional personal grooming and attire standards at all times
• Enthusiastically introduce the dinner menu with attention to flavor pairings and pride for your craft
• Assist in efforts to keep the lodge clean, warm, and inviting before the arrival of all guests (fire going, hot drinks available, hot food waiting, etc.)
• Demonstrate high levels of energy and enthusiasm for the Callaghan Country experience including appropriate application of product knowledge when offering itinerary ideas and suggestions to guests
• Consistently interact with guests in a friendly, professional, and caring manner, careful to treat each guest with the utmost respect and courtesy
• Actively promote guest engagement, encouraging feedback, participation in social media reviews, and repeat visitation
• Be well versed in each of Callaghan Country's adventure packages and programs so that you are in a position to 'soft sell' the whole spectrum of experiences
• Seize opportunities to recover and enhance services, seek out opportunities for service innovation
Teamwork / Communication (5%)· Ensure all company forms and documents are submitted directly to the appropriate team member with record of transmission
· Proactively learn about the workloads and rhythms of all other team members so that you may conduct your communications and requests both respectfully and effectively
· Seek out opportunities to help others and share workloads and to ask for help when it is needed, so that the quality of the guest experience is never compromised
· Must have own transportation
· Lifting or moving up to 80lbs will be required
· Passion for culinary arts and ‘foodie’ culture
· Familiarity with industrial kitchen systems, equipment, and procedures
· Must be a self-starter with the ability to work in a team environment, take initiative, assess priorities and multi-task, competently
· Will perform a variety of activities with a high level of accuracy within an, often, high-stress and fast-paced work setting
· Capacity to independently operate a side by side in variable conditions (training to be provided)
· A collection of professional references will be required prior to final interviews
· Personal time commitment to a summer season contract with Callaghan Country (July 14 – October 4)
Education/Experience· A college diploma or culinary certification (Red Seal, Food Safe and Serving it Right are assets)
· Previous hospitality / lodge hosting experience and asset
· Proven experience planning meals and cooking for groups of up to 16-48 people
· Proven background: Minimum 2 yrs working in a food & beverage culinary management role
· Proven background: Minimum 1 yr working in a similar role executing a full day of meals in a remote location
· Proven background: Passing kitchen and equipment inspections compliant with licensing laws, health and safety and other statutory regulations
· Demonstrated initiative in community and volunteer endeavors
· CULINARY PROFESSIONALISM Extensive knowledge of food handling, inventory management, cost control and sanitation practices. Able to effectively execute a reputable menu with little to no support.
· SERVICE EXCELLENCE Implies an inherent passion to identify, relate, and serve guests, focusing one’s efforts on discovering and exceeding their needs, every day.
· TEAMWORK Demonstrates the ability to work cooperatively, participate fully, communicate clearly, involve and encourage others, contributing to a cohesive team environment.
· TENACIOUS ENDURANCE Proactively responds to constantly changing and demanding workloads. Able to work long hours in a remote wilderness setting with limited access to traditional communication or social life.
· RISK ASSESSMENT/JUDGMENT Aware of your surroundings at all times and confidently make decisions to minimize risk to you and to company equipment.
· GUMPTION Identifies a problem, obstacle or opportunity and takes appropriate action wherever necessary.
· EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE Self-aware with tools to effectively control and express your emotions and handle relationships judiciously and empathetically. Able to work and live very closely with other staff members and guests.
· PHYSICALLY FIT Ready to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares, enduring repetitive physical movements and tasks.
· RESULTS ORIENTATION Demonstrates the concern and strives for surpassing an established standard of excellence.